Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What online peer support looks like // Tues 16th July, 7pm-9pm AEST

Thank you @MDT it's interesting to hear that and makes total sense. I think the key thing regardless is holding compassion either way.

Sometimes in interactions it sort of calls for a solution focused approach, but I notice sometimes people get frustrated. I.e say a friend is in an unhealthy relationship and you give them advice on how to manage, if they choose not to take your advice one can become frustrated. I think sometimes we need to weigh up when to or not to engage in solution-orient help. It sounds like a double edged sword for yourself as well? Sometimes a problem with people feeling dismissed, sometimes helpful! Heart

Re: Topic Tuesday // What online peer support looks like // Tues 16th July, 7pm-9pm AEST

This is true @eth! We are funny creatures 🙂 Sometimes it's just nice to let things out and have someone hold space without strategy. Thank you Heart

I don't respond to peers who are in need of emotional support, because I know I'm not any good at providing it. If it isn't clear, I will ask them first which type of support they are looking for, if any, because I personally don't appreciate it when people assume what I am looking for and add energy to the conversation that assumes I am looking for what is expected of me to be needing. If its a type of support I can't offer, then I will admit to my limitations and tell the peer that they deserve the support they are looking for from a person who can provide it. 

This doesn't undermine me as a person or assume that there is something wrong with me whilst also acknowledging the peer and their individual requirements. 

reading along and lots of head nodding in aggreeance but not alot to add to what others have already said

Thank you @Former-Member very true. So instead of someone making assumptions and further frustrating, you'd be more keen to ask some general questions and seek insight around what they're in need of? I like this approach. Listening and sitting with another person's narrative first really is important. Thank you so much for sharing.

I need to go @nashy my phone has only 4%. And my headache is back again. Thanks for starting this chat. I’ll read the rest tomorrow. 

Goodnight @nashy and everyone else ❤️❤️

Perhaps sometimes it is better to simply say that you hear what the person is saying. But you won't always be able to say something constructive or meaningful. ]

One time i went to emergency as I had SI and the nurse told me that i should wear nicer clothing and was sarcastic towards me. IT was very unhelpful. Unprofessional too. Possibly even sexist. But anyway. All I'm saying is that offering meaningless bulls*** advice can worsen the issue

@nashy  I have had the occasional experience of listening and reflecting for a few posts, then making suggestions and getting repeated negative responses.  So I think it's important what you just said about weighing up when to engage or not.  Sometimes we need to let go and try not to take it personally, and remember our own needs no matter how much we want to help.

@outlander  Lovely! I can feel the energy of your nods in the SANE Office!

nod.gif

Thanks for being here. Heart

nite my friend @BlueBay
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance