Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What online peer support looks like // Tues 16th July, 7pm-9pm AEST

The very same affirmations, that I offer to other people (when hopefully helpful) @nashy

1) I can relate to your experience (or I've had similar experiences).

2) I have felt that way too.

3) I hear you, & I appreciate your honesty - even though I don't know what to say (that would help).

4) I have read your post (by pushing the Support Button) - I am unable to say anything more to help, at the moment.

Adge

Re: Topic Tuesday // What online peer support looks like // Tues 16th July, 7pm-9pm AEST

pretty much @nashy

it can be hard to see progress in our own lives so it's important that if someone tells us good things that they can back it up with proof - lest we start to doubt ourselves

Agreed @Faith-and-Hope  Also find this very comforting. Thank you.

I agree @Faith-and-Hope 

I find gentle reminders that I've been in tough places before and made it through, can be helpful at times. It kind of prompts me think about what's helped before as well.

I'm with you with backing up broad statements being helpful @MDT. Remembering or pointing out things that are meaningful to me can feel good.

My work is very emotionally draining - sometimes I am physically injured by clients (at work).

I have some challenging physical illnesses, & daily fatigue (resulting).

So at the end of the day (when coming onto the forums) - there is often no energy left for me to give.

So a few short words, straight to the point - or a Support (Like) Button is giving as much as is humanly possible.

Adge

Loving the input tonight everyone. So amazing.

The last question tonight is in relation to the video @s-jay linked at the very beginning of the thread.

Did you watch the above video on empathy & sympathy? In your own words, or from your own experience what makes empathy so impactful?

@Adge  You do deal with a lot in your role Heart No doubt you just need to completely wind down after those stressors. The support button (to me at least) is still a very valid and valuable way of letting someone know we're sitting with them.

No, I didn't, because I don't find empathy helpful at all. 

Because empathy feels like someone is sharing your experience with you (companionship) @nashy

They don't have to feel that same way right now - they're tapping into their memories of having had similar experiences.

Whereas sympathy feels like someone is "Lording it over you". "I know better than you", "I have the answers" (& you don't), etc.

In fact sympathy feels (or seems) patronising & insulting (to me) - it comes across as hollow & empty (meaningless).

Adge

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance